Saturday, October 17, 2009

Books on shelves

Hi Mom,

Once upon a time, a little while ago, before Kindles and iPhones even existed, there were libraries. 

I went to one today, the Brooklyn Public Library, and was reminded why libraries are so great. They smell just like I remember them. 

Book dust, juice boxes and librarian hairspray all rolled into one. And even better, they're full of books.

I used to go all the time as a kid, remember? I'd emerge with stacks taller than I was and gobble the books up in a weekend, then go back for more. The main media room these days--it's called a media room because people go there for media maybe even more than they do to look for books--was full on this particular Saturday afternoon. I felt compelled to look up kids' books I liked, and then checked to see if they had grown-up ones I hadn't read and wanted to borrow.

If I could ever remember to return the books on time, I'd start checking them out again. For now, I think it's still cheaper for me to buy.

Love,
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment