Sunday, October 18, 2009

Museum of Higher Art

Hi Mom,

A group of little kids sketched with great diligence. They looked up at the large, abstract picture on the MoMA wall and scrunched their up their tiny faces, intensely concentrated on making most perfect, pad-sized replicas. "Teacher, teacher, does mine look the same?" The woman with the volunteer sticker on smiled at the little girl, who happened to be adorably missing a front tooth.

I thought to myself, this is a job I could do. But then I found out, it's not. I asked.

The volunteer explained that most people who work with the kids have PhDs in art. Or at least, a Master's. Barring that, it would be unlikely that you would get to interact with the kids, she explained. I know who Dali is, and I'm not sticking a pencil up my nose like the little boy in the back of the group, I thought to myself. I FEEL qualified. But then again, I guess people do send their little kids to art class to actually learn from people who know about it, and probably want reassurance it won't just be well, someone like me. Back to the drawing board. Literally and figuratively.

Love,
Karen


1 comment:

  1. Karen,

    They would be lucky to have someone like you!

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete