Saturday, May 16, 2009

Saturday

Hi Mom,

I have decided to become part of New York's fire escape culture. What that entails, more or less, is not just putting flowerpots outside my window but also sitting beside them. I haven't done any planting yet, but I'm thinking of trying out spices too. I heard someone is growing oregano on the roof. I was surprised to find out we could get up there. Or maybe we can't... technically.

I have enlisted my giant pink beach towel for this particular endeavor. Not the growing part, but the sitting part. 

A funny thing happens just down the way, in the squash courts next to the high school adjacent to my building. People play squash there, or handball, or some such New York City game, but constantly launch the balls over the wire-fence-topped cement barrier into our backyard. Hence I have a collection. The best part is that the guys down below always look equally surprised when the ball bounces into what now looks like a Chuck-E-Cheese ball pit. I'm thinking of collecting them for my friend who plays squash avidly.

Love,
Karen

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karen,

    You have quite the collection of handballs! It is so funny that you are talking about your fire escape today. Mark was talking about fire escapes in New York during dinner at the Peking House tonight. We saw Sunshine Cleaning at the Main in Royal Oak, and I was telling Mark (for the hundreth time, I'm sure) how I took you and Steven to see "Run, Lola, Run," there. Did you wind up buying the Asics? It looks like the Shake Shack is now closed... Thanks so much for updating your blog. I totally love reading (and rereading) it.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete