Saturday, May 30, 2009

Small town after all

Hi Mom,

Manhattan is 23.7 square miles. New York City's population was 8,310,212 as of July 1, 2007. I don't think that includes tourists. Yet somehow, over the past week, I've managed to randomly run into four people I know in various parts of the city.

First it was a friend's roommate outside of my office building, then it was a girl I worked with at the Michigan Daily outside of an East Village concert venue, then a guy I met at my old roommate's birthday party and today a coworker at the entrance to Central Park.

It seems so unlikely. Then again, in the past I've seen my old philosophy professor jogging, Jordan Schwartz's mom in Chinatown and Aaron Singer at a hotel where I was covering a conference.

Big city, small town, I guess. Nothing like running into everyone from home at the grocery store. Or Costco. What a phenomenon.

Weather's nice, I'm going to go find a rooftop to enjoy it on. Have a good time at the concert.

Love,
Karen

P.S. You should check out www.pandora.com. It's one of my favorite websites. You type in the name of an artist you like and it creates an entire customized music channel just for you.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karen,

    It is amazing that you ran into all those people that you know. It probably would have been difficult to plan it that way. Like last week, when I was in the traveler's store on Orchard Lake Road, Sara Braverman walked in during the EXACT 10 minutes that I was there. We definitely could not have planned that, even if we had tried. It was fun...she wound up giving me some advice on a purse, and then we went for a walk. I'll check out pandora.com--thanks for letting me know about it. I'm going to get ready for the concert..I decided to wear a skirt tonight. Oh...there you are online! Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete