Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Sell phone!

Hi Mom,

Today my cell phone became a doorstop. It wouldn't turn on this morning, couldn't be charged, refuses to blink or beep. Inexplicable. I'm going to take it in during lunch, but if you can't find me for a bit, don't be worried.

I've always had adventures with cell phones, namely when David ran away with mine to Rome when it was supposed to be with me in Spain. Now I always wear pants with pockets when I travel. Or carry a purse. Because you never know what could happen or when your friend will jump a turnstile to catch a train you thought was later and leave the country with your only means of portable communication.

Some people--not me, usually--really actually want their phones to be dead sometimes. There were whole decades (I've been told) before cell phones, where being out of town, out of touch or just out of your house actually meant people had no idea where you were.

It was in those days permissible to pick up your messages whenever you returned, a window of time that has shortened significantly as evidenced by the fact that if two hours go by, message-leavers are likely to a) take offense and/or b) call back and ask why you haven't returned the call(s) yet.

But the world's probably safer, it's easier to stay in touch, and if you ever get a flat tire, much easier to call for help with a cell phone. Meanwhile, my door is very effectively propped open.

Love,
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment