Sunday, August 30, 2009

Butterflies

Hi Mom,

I like butterflies. When they are alive and flying around a butterfly garden, for example, I like them. When they land on a flower, a park bench, or my purse strap, I like them. I do not, however, like them in glass cases.

Went to a restaurant that has them up on display and couldn't stop staring. Something about the whole thing bugs me (no pun intended). They're all pinned up and streched out. I don't think it's as pretty then.

I'm not sure if this parallels my thoughts on taxidermy, though, as I was at the Natural History museum--great place to spend a rainy afternoon, plus pay what you wish admission--this weekend and found some of the animals to be fairly magnificent. Maybe it's the difference between having them up for education versus just for art. Or I'm overthinking it and just don't like butterflies specifically.

I'm not next in line for a bearskin rug or anything, so I guess I can leave this one unresolved for now. And just avoid butterflies.

Hope your weekend is going well.

Love,
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment