Sunday, July 12, 2009

Bastille Day

Hi Mom,

Bastille Day doesn't seem terribly American. But like everything else in New York, it sure draws a crowd. I didn't even know they celebrated it here, but apparantly it's an annual thing down on Smith Street in Brookyn. It's not a neighborhood I have spent a lot of time in, but it has a real flavor about it.

I was down here at a bar last night, and found myself back in the area today on a several mile stroll up from Bay Ridge. It was recommended to me in passing yesterday, that I should stop by and see the street they close off to traffic and fill with sand for the occasion. They play a game that looks like bocce, which seems to be called petanque. And giant stands selling lamb sausage and chicken on french bread with fries pop up in abundance.

Needless to say, I'm full and well-walked out.

Love,
Karen

1 comment:

  1. What fun! I clicked on the link, and it seemed like a great way to spend an afternoon. Which has me wondering when the dog show will be in Central Park this year...

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete