Friday, July 17, 2009

No free rides

Hi Mom,

I bought my new monthly metrocard today. They jacked the prices up again: unlimited's $89 now. In the summer I mostly walk, or--not on purpose--find myself in cabs. But I still buy the unlimited, because transit's very much a mindset.

When I don't have the unlimited, I stay close to home, or mostly only go places I can walk to in half an hour or less. I've tried outwitting the system several times, buying ten dollar cards and swearing I'll make them last. Those are the days I wind up using the whole thing in 12 hours. No way to win with this one, it seems.

On the bright side, card or not, I've been walking back and forth from work some, up across the park a lot, and, as you can see from all my previous posts, across bridges frequently. One day I'll get it right; like the perfect cinnamon roll recipe, I'll keep at it until I save whatever paltry sum it is by choosing the perfect combination of transportation to meet my travel needs.

Meanwhile, I'm still considering getting a bike!

Love,
Karen

1 comment:

  1. lol When you feel like it's a bite paying the higher cost of the metro card, you can just go and take a bite out of a metro card cookie!

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete