Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Sandwiches

Hi Mom,

Current fascination: Vietnamese sandwiches. Saw this place on my way to the shwarma stand, was instantly intrigued, now very inspired. It's actually a spin-off of a Cambodian noodle shop I like downtown.

I've started spending $2.50 on their blood lemonade, much less the ish $8 for a sandwich. I know, I could buy a loaf of bread, quarter pound of swiss and some mustard for that price tag. Still, as the line snakes out the door and down the block, even eating lunch I feel like I'm part of something (possibly a group of people willing to pay exorbinant amounts of money for a roll with stuff stuck on it).

They had a special side dish involving some kind of root I had never heard of before in my life. I wondered aloud what it could be--thank you sandwich lines in NY, four people looked up from reading their New Yorkers or leaning against the door frames to tell me it was the center of a stalk of fennel. Learn something new every day.

Love,
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment