Wednesday, July 22, 2009

For me

Hi Mom,

Was at one of my favorite coffee shops, gazing adoringly at a drink on the bar I hadn't ordered. I sat sipping my lame iced tea--I like iced tea, but a cappuchino seemed like an even better idea this particular afternoon. Too late. I sat awash in beverage regret.

The woman making the drinks and I struck up a conversation about the different drinks, how funny it was waiting to see who came to get them, how sometimes they got abandoned there, inexplicably, just a few steps from where they were ordered.

I returned to drinking my iced tea, the taste of frothy milk in my head. I may have sighed.

"Hey," she called from the other side of the glass pastry case. "Take it, it's yours." I looked around to see who had been absentee on their beverage pickup. She was waving at me. "Drink it; if they come back, I'll make them another." I gleefully accepted the ceramic mugful of caffinated deliciousness.

Excellent New York moment.

Love,
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment