Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Great Music

Hi Mom,

I took this picture of the Great Lawn so you could see it empty. Last night it was packed, no room to move. The New York Philharmonic was doing one of its free shows in Central Park, and I had rolled in early enough to get a seat (OK, I had to have someone save me one, but hey). The orchestra played Mozart’s Symphony No. 41, Jupiter and Beethoven’s Symphony No. 7, both of which I’ve played before.

Despite the fact that I didn’t turn out to be a prodigy on violin, and also the fact that it’s hard to practice in a New York apartment where the neighbors can hear you sneeze, I’m glad to know how to play an instrument. I think it gives me better perspective on just how long they had to practice to make it sound that good. Bonus: I can tell when the piece is done, as opposed to clapping between movements.

Had a drink before the concert with a friend, at a fancy bar that serves excellent happy hour specials and complicated mixed drinks. In the middle of our classy beverage moment, a small roach crawled out from under a napkin and paraded across the bar. The guy across the way looked up and asked if we were okay; we just paused our conversation and stared. The bartender gave us free drinks. Only in New York.

Love,
Karen

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karen,

    Who said that you weren't a prodigy on the violin?

    I have a question about the roaches in the fancy bars...are they fancy roaches?

    Thanks for writing.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete