Thursday, July 2, 2009

Fish taco

Hi Mom,

Tonight I walked the Williamsburg Bridge, which connects Manhattan's Lower East Side with Williamsburg in Brooklyn. It's a long 7,308 feet but a very nice stroll at sunset. I was coming back from an insanely good taco place Sarmad read about in the New York Times (and remembered from a year or so ago). He's a real food buff. They had excellent guacamole, and a lovely fish taco.

There's a whole street full of good things to eat, drink and otherwise out there in the midst of a neighborhood where you just wouldn't quite expect it. It's on the fringe of a few different communities but seemingly not part of any one, though I'm sure for real estate purposes they have renamed it something catchy with "hills" or "heights" in it.

An equally exciting find was a storefront along the way full of pinball machines. It's hard to find pinball these days, as people get more revved up about shooting games or racecar games. This place had managed to sustain six or seven classic machines. I hope I can find it again sometime and deposit a lifetime supply of quarters.

Anyway, now it's late and I've got work in the morning, so I guess I'll go to sleep.

Love,
Karen

3 comments:

  1. what has become of your infamous travels, k? no third world countries, no africa, not even europe.... all NY, Chigago and the like... not even the bible belt.

    shame!

    i like the Hi Mom! gimmick though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It being a blog FOR my mom is the point! This way even on days we don't get to talk she still gets looped in on my loopy New York life. Just consider yourself one of the lucky bystanders.

    And don't worry, there will be more adventures-local, national, international. Be careful or I'll come visit the India...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen,

    I appreciated reading your entry. Many bridges in New York! What do they put in their fish taco?

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete