Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Muse

Hi Mom,

With so many museums and three free hours to see them in, it's hard to decide. Every year I swear I'll plot ahead of time, with shortcuts involving jumping hedges and skateboarding around, not through, the crowds. Never works.

The Museum Mile is a night set out to perplex frequent museum-goers who try and balance their interest in getting into every museum they've ever wanted to see with their fascination with whatever performances are happening on the blocked-off, pedestrian-friendly street on a warm summer evening.

I mill around in the middle of the street, smelling the sweet corn and crepes cooking at small stalls on the sides. I try and elbow my way in to seeing some artwork, but since it's free pretty much everyone shows up at once. The music doesn't lose its luster but seeing art with everyone on earth crammed in around you is a little bit less powerful. At least I know what to go back and visit when I have more time, like doing a whirlwind tour of six countries in a week.

Anyway, saw the MET, always a favorite, and watched a street performer juggle, and then subsequently eat, fire.

Hope you're having a great birthday. I'm thinking of you.

Love,
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment