Sunday, June 21, 2009

Red Rocks

Hi Mom,

When I visit family, all I do is eat. I eat dinner, I eat dessert, I eat breakfast and lunch and snack and ice cream for good measure. Then someone comes by to ask if I've tried the homemade dip, the brie, the chocolate chip cookies and the eggplant. It's unavoidable, wonderful and horrific all at once.

That's why a trip to the red rocks, which does NOT involve eating, seemed like such a good idea. We saw the ampitheater, which gets great concerts like the one in Greece. I liked how they had carved seats and the whole thing seemed to fit in among the rocks.

It was raining. We walked around and slid down some muddy parts in the foothills, took pictures, stood on picnic tables and eventually started our journey back toward the city. We passed Buffalo Bill's grave--it rapidly became clear that I was the only one with any kind of alleigance to said Bill. We drove on.

Between my two skilled navigators we only missed the freeway twice, maybe three times. Added bonus; on the way home we stopped at The Morrison Inn, a Tex-Mex place with world-renown margaritas, even if they weren't very good! The place itself is something of an icon, and now I've been there. If it had not been raining, we would have sat on the patio.
Welcome back!

Love,
Karen

1 comment:

  1. Good morning, Karen,

    The scenery at red rock amphitheatre looks beautiful, and reminds me of Sedona. It sounds like you are managing to see some interesting places in between the eating. Of course, we also don't want to minimize the importance of The Eating! I love the philosphy of eating in Italy. They definitely have the right idea. They not only savor the food, they savor the company. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete